.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Seven Hills

Boston-area exploration, travel notes, crafty things, and other Somervillainy.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

There hasn't been much time for crafts, travels, or even lobster rolls lately, as I've been focusing on the development and sustenance of one major project since early August.



Please welcome the littlest Somervillain, Henry Leo, age six-and-a-half weeks. Here he models the last knitting project I was able to complete, a raglan pullover in Rowan "Calmer" yarn from a pattern by Debbie Bliss. This is a great sweater for a newborn -- a nice wide neck that easily slips over the head, and very soft, stretchy, and comfortable. I customized the pattern slightly, making the body and sleeves a little shorter than instructed, so it would fit him as early as possible.

I've made tons of sweaters for friends' babies in the past, trying out different nubbly wools and tweedy yarns, but once I was making something for my own child, I saw all those old favorite fibers with new eyes, looking at them from the perspective of the little person soon to wear them, rather than my own aesthetic preferences as a knitter. That Donegal tweed might be gorgeous to work with, but surely it would be far too scratchy for tender newborn skin of my precious infant. So, even though I realized I was probably being a little overcautious, I went for a cotton-microfiber blend. He was a summer baby, after all--anything heavier would have been too warm to wear.

And to any parent who ever received a little cardigan from me made from scouring-pad-harsh Aran wool, still bristling with twigs from the sheep meadow, please accept my apologies.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9/29/2008 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both you and Daniel! What a sweet little boy. He is very lucky to have such a wonderful crafty mom and super funny dad. Please let Daniel know I say hello.

xo- dolin

 
At 11/11/2008 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, little henry baby bliss! the sweater is adorable and surely contributes to his mellow demeanor!

xoxojulie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home