.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Seven Hills

Boston-area exploration, travel notes, crafty things, and other Somervillainy.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Fat-Free Treat

When I received my invitation to a friend's recent bridal shower, I knew right away that I wanted to get her the cupcake carrier off her registry. I thought it would be fun to also give her a cloth or knitted cupcake from an Etsy vendor, but when I saw that the various available faux-cakes were all rather pricey, I decided it would be worth trying my hand at one myself.

After experimenting with a few free patterns, my cupcake consultant and I decided this one looked the most convincing. We especially liked the way the ribbing mimics the classic pleated cupcake paper, and the way the wavy flourish around the edge of the "frosting" seems to sit on the edge of the cup. A smattering of iridescent bugle bead sprinkles sewn on top are the finishing touch.

I used a cotton yarn (and organic, at that!) for this one, but wonder if a heavier wool would help the cupcake to hold its shape better - when it came time to stuff the cupcake, I found I had to leave it quite soft and smooshy to keep from distorting it. I am a complete novice when it comes to crocheting and making stuffed toys, so there may be some basic tricks I'm missing here.

Anyway, smooshable though it was, the cupcake was finished in time for the shower and presentable enough to top the main gift, tied to a ribbon. It was lots of fun to make -- quite addictive, in fact -- so I foresee more evenings of cupcake-crocheting while watching TV in my future. The shower was fun, too: held at a classic New England inn, overflowing with finger sandwiches, scones, and cookies, and lit up with bright spring bouquets. No cupcakes on the menu though ... for those we'll have to wait for the wedding.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4/08/2008 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i didn't realize you MADE it! wow! All the more cool. It looks incredibly professional.

 
At 4/09/2008 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home