.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Seven Hills

Boston-area exploration, travel notes, crafty things, and other Somervillainy.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Let Them Eat Nutella

When I was in San Francisco last week, I met up with a friend one afternoon at Boulange Hayes, the Hayes Valley branch of Bay Bread's lovely boulangeries. Some phrases (usually delivered with a genuine French accent) that have been overheard to describe these bakeries include "just like in France -- there is no difference" and "be very excited." And indeed, the breads and pastries one finds there give one reason to be very, very excited.

I found another reason to be excited upon stepping into Boulange Hayes: up at the condiments counter, along with forks and napkins and bowls of sugar, a big jar of communal Nutella set out from which all customers might liberally slather their bread or croissant. A stroke of brillance.


Of course I had to do just that. My croissant was already sweetened with a cheese filling, but I couldn't say no to the noisette threat.


Many other tasty sweets were also on offer:


Now if these Bay Bread people could just find a reason to open a sister store in Boston, my happiness would be complete. In the absence of that development, Clear Flour Bread in Brookline is very good ... but it would be a lot better if they left an open jar of Nutella on the counter.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5/11/2008 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow Gilles and I have to try this! It looks so good. He will eat Nutella from a jar with a spoon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home