.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Seven Hills

Boston-area exploration, travel notes, crafty things, and other Somervillainy.

Monday, February 26, 2007

No Perfume

Watching the Oscars last night inspired me to do a show-and-tell of a Hollywood-related craft project I've been putting some time into lately: the celebrity snark box.

I'm an unabashed star watcher, which is why I enjoy things like the Academy Awards and Us Weekly so much. But I am also - more abashedly so - intrigued by the inane things celebrities say at awards shows and in publications such as these. Occasionally they are also witty and smart (Cate Blanchett comes to mind), but ... usually not.

A few years ago a friend of mine had the flu while traveling in South America, and while she was stuck in her hotel room she got obsessed with a foreign gossip magazine she'd happened to find on her trip - I think it was from Australia, and hence included a lot of items related to Nicole Kidman. One story in particular gripped her imagination. This was when Tom Cruise was still dating Penelope Cruz, and the story said that Tom had (quite insensitively, I think) bought a case of Chanel No. 5, "Nic's" signature scent, to give as gifts to all his female assistants for Christmas that year. (Who knew Scientologists observed Christmas?) Penelope, however, was having none of it, and allegedly threw all the perfume away, storming, "No perfume for anyone!"

Now, who knows if this story is true, but if it is I say good for Penelope, and I hope those bottles of Chanel broke all over Tom's pressed blue jeans. In celebration of this treasured bit of celebrity schadenfreude I made a keepsake for my friend, using images from the magazine she had so generously bequeathed to me.


I just love that triumphant look on Penelope's face. She was not going to let a case of emotionally loaded designer scent come between her and her man, no way! Nevertheless, inside the box lurks the flower of her secret:



I went for a sort of Almodovar-inspired color scheme, turquoises and reds, with silver lace on the sides and a dash of glitter.


So, that's the Penelope Cruz "no perfume" box. Many other celebrities beckon me with their tabloid sagas, with Brad and Angie probably highest on my list.

But first, the Gwyneth Paltrow "food issues" box. Until next time ...

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2/26/2007 10:15 PM, Blogger Rain said...

LOVE it!!

More please!

 
At 2/28/2007 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever! I watched the Oscars, grainy reception and all. What did you think of the straight-hair-draped-over one-shoulder look, a la Nic and Gwyneth?

 
At 2/28/2007 7:51 PM, Blogger Chrissa said...

I'm afraid I just wanted them to tell them to push their hair out of their faces!

That said, I liked Gwyn's overall look, but thought the red lipstick clashed with the blush dress. As for Nicole, the less said the better, poor thing. What happened to her?

And thanks, Rain!

 
At 3/03/2007 7:32 PM, Blogger Becky G. said...

Wow, what an amazing project. I'm so intrigued - I really can't wait to see more! Now I'm trying to remember any inane things said by celebrities recently...It'll be interesting to see how you keepsake-ify (is there a verb for that? there should be...) these little jewels of celebrity wisdom. I think you have a lifetime of work ahead of you!

 
At 4/05/2007 9:53 AM, Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press said...

True or not, it's sad how Hollywood can ruin a perfectly good actress (actor, director, etc.). I recently re-watched "Jamon, Jamon" + thought, I used to like her. I think the same thing about another Almodovar alum, Antonio Banderes, I could just die over "Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down."
Another fabulous box!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home