.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Seven Hills

Boston-area exploration, travel notes, crafty things, and other Somervillainy.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Frankenturkey

I will be the only meat eater at our little Thanksgiving dinner this year, but I still would like to have some turkey, so I planned to pick up a few turkey pieces, rather than a whole bird.

The only problem is that, while each store I've gone to has some sort of turkey part, everywhere is either poorly stocked or already picked over. So I have turkey thighs from Savenor's, the very expensive specialty grocery and butcher where Julia Child used to shop, turkey wings from the large Whole Foods on River Street in Cambridge, and tomorrow I hope to add a turkey breast from the mini Whole Foods on Prospect Street in Cambridge to my collection. I saw some there the other day, but who knows, they may be gone by now.

I guess if I buy separate turkey pieces at the same store they're very likely from different birds, too, but if I buy three different types of cuts from three different stores, I'm pretty much guaranteed that the birds have never even met. Is that wrong?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11/22/2006 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! No offense to your many other wonderful posts, but this has to be my favorite. I feel your pain. Have felt, rather. Nothing against our friends and family who pass up the centerpiece of Thanksgiving, but I gotta have the turkey.

The other day, per habit, I went to Whole Foods for my take-away dinner. In place of their normal serving of roast chicken pieces, they had "Thanksgiving" turkey parts. Problem was, it was all overly heatlamped legs, the skin taught and looking as though it would be impossible to chew. Instead, I chose to scoop up all the loose meat and just get extra potatoes and gravy. Not sure if this anecdote is relevant, just thought I'd share it.

Good luck with your disparate turkey parts. I have a feeling they'll all taste pretty good no matter where they come from.

 
At 11/22/2006 2:14 PM, Blogger Chrissa said...

Ah yes, the over-heat-lamped Whole Foods prepared food table, yet another monster turkey smorgasbord experience.

Glad you liked, and tomorrow I will raise my hard-won drumstick to you, from one coast to the other, and give thanks that at least I'm not eating Quorn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home