.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Seven Hills

Boston-area exploration, travel notes, crafty things, and other Somervillainy.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

To Market

This morning a friend and I went to the Union Square farmer's market, which I'm told is new this year. It is fairly small, maybe ten stands or so (at least on this weekend), but I liked it that way. The farmer's markets I've been to in San Francisco were quite extensive, and could be overwhelming. It's hard to choose something when you're faced with countless adorable carts of organic honey, fresh-shucked oysters, and local goat cheeses ... I mean, it's great, but is it a farmer's market or Zabar's? That was the one on the Embarcadero ... at Civic Center and Alemany the problem was choosing between 40 tables of bok choy and broccoli rabe.

But that's San Francisco. I like choices, but in Somerville's Union Square, you can pick up a simple pint of blueberries and feel good about it. Fresh, in season, nothing fancy.


The market has a nice community feeling. A small tent was set up where performers were playing songs, a faithful cover of Leonard Cohen's "That's No Way to Say Goodbye" among them. (Folk lives on in Cambridge/Somerville. Last weekend we saw a preppy-looking college kid playing "The Boxer" on guitar in Harvard Square. Pretty much exactly the same as when I came here for college 15 years ago.)

You can show your support with a Farmer's Market T-shirt ...


Eggplants, green beans, and I think tomatillos make a nice color composition ...


A psychedelic bunch of glads ...


Mmm, pies ...


Early McIntoshes, harbingers of fall.


"Summer's almost over!" everyone keeps saying. Wait, wait! Slow down! We just got here!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8/13/2005 11:54 PM, Blogger Brian said...

One pie, second from the right, is just slightly hanging over the table edge. It's almost saying "Please buy me, before I get knocked off the table." I think if I were selling pies, I would make sure there was always one peeking over the ledge like that. Pies in distress are so much more tempting.

 
At 8/14/2005 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention my make out session with the blueberry farmer!

 
At 8/14/2005 11:02 AM, Blogger Chrissa said...

Pies in distress, oh no! I knew I should have rescued that one ...

 
At 8/14/2005 11:03 AM, Blogger Chrissa said...

Maybe I forgot to buy pies because someone was getting frisky by the blueberry table ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home